Fashion trends are continually evolving, what remains constant is Indian ethnic wear. The timeless appeal and feminine charm of Indian traditional dresses make it every girl’s favourite. Earlier, women preferred wearing these dresses only during Indian ceremonies and rituals, but due to their versatile nature and comfortable charm women now love wearing them even in offices or formal occasions. In fact, the Indian fashion and handloom industryhave established quite a reputation globally.
With wedding and the festive season just around the corner, it’s the best time to bring out your “Bharatiya Nari” and flaunt your ethnic wear. If you want to keep your fashion game on-point, then here is a checklist for ethnic essentials for this festive season.
1. A traditional saree: Sarees is an Indian treasure. Finding its origin in India, this garment is a reminder of Indian culture and traditions. For centuries, women of different Indian regions have worn this garment with panache. This dress continues to be the favourite of every Indian woman. Nothing looks more elegant on a woman than a saree. Either it could be your trendy attire or your mother’s heirloom, a saree will enhance your femininity. The sophistication of saree makes it a perfect dress for Diwali pooja or a dinner party.
2. A Patiala salwar suit: For that comfortable and easy-going look, a Patiala salwar suit is the best option. With wide, baggy bottoms and a sleek kurta with breezy dupatta, makes it a perfect combination of comfort and style. This dress is best for an office Diwali party as well as for various other ceremonies.
3. A fancy Kurta: If you are not that traditional in your dressing style, then a simple Kurta can come to your rescue. Pairing it up with a pair of leggings, a churidar, palazzo or even jeans, makes it a perfect attire for this festive season. While it may look a little too simple for wedding parties, but it’s perfect for festivals. Some of the trendy styles to wear a kurta are combining it with a short or a long jacket, going sheer, long slits on sides, fringes at the bottom, or umbrella sleeves.
4. Ethnic skirt: A long ethnic skirt paired with the right top is definitely a stunning ensemble. It’s a perfect amalgamation of traditional attire with a tinge of western influence. Pairing skirts with a long or a short kurta, a tank top or a silk top are some of the options to choose from. Printed florals, kalamkari, Ikat are some popular designs to pick from. Meanwhile, a jacquard or a plain silk skirt makes a for a perfect dandia party wear.
5. Palazzo suits: They are the newest addition to Indian fashion trends. Replacing salwars, Palazzos are a new fad among women of all ages. They are comfortable and versatile. The wide legged trousers, popularly known as palazzos, are paired with long or short kurta, or a short top for a trendy look. They are a convenient option during various ceremonies. Buy Indian ethnic wear online at Lashkaraa, a shopping website with a wide range of traditional essentials to choose from.
6. Classic Jhumkas: Indian ethnic wear is not just limited to clothing styles. Jhumkas are an eternal favourite type of earring of every Indian woman. A pair of these trinketgoes with every ensemble and accentuates its beauty. They are perfect for every occasion. They come in a variety of sizes but are essentially bell-shaped. The smaller version of jhumkas is known as “jhumkis.” A flamboyant pair of jhumkas is all you need to accessorize your look.
7. Punjabi juttis or Mojaris: Punjabi juttis are not only back in trend but are also a rage in Indian fashion industry. Their popularity has increased manifold and you will often spot Bollywood actresses wearing it. Not only with Patiala salwar suit, but they can be teamed up with any Indian attire like Churidaar, Lehenga choli, Palazzo suit, as well as the very modern wear a t-shirt and jeans. The timeless appeal of this footwear and vibrant style makes it everyone’s favourite. Undoubtedly, they are comfortable and add colour to your outfit.
8. Intricately designed dupattas: A dupatta designed intricately with heavy embroidery, patchwork, or zari work is a must have for every Indian girl. These not only complete your traditional look but adds class and richness to your attire. Indian textile industry is rich and there a variety of fabrics to choose from. Some of the types of dupattas you must stock up are Phulkari, Banarasi, Gota Pati, Madhubani, Kalamkari and Chanderi. A heavily embellished dupatta paired with plain kurta and leggings, or a short top and skirt can make you look stylish and glamorous.
9. Chandbalis: Another form of earrings that are loved by Indian women are chandbalis. Originated at the time of Mughal rule or reign of Nizams in India, these are a type of earrings inspired by the shape of “Chand,” or moon in English. They look best with all kinds of Indian outfits and add a regal charm to the wearer’s personality. Chandbalis are available in different designs such as jhumar, drop, peacock, dangle and more.
10. Maang tikka: Maang tikka or a mathapatti is a form of hair ornament that every girl should have in her wardrobe. This beautiful piece of jewelry is placed on girl’s hairline adding grace to her look. They look best with lehenga choli. For a bolder look, team it with sarees.
So, now that you know about the traditional wear must–haves, it’s time to update your wardrobe. The festive season has started, it is the best time to shop and avail discounts. While shopping in malls or at the comfort of your home, a huge variety of Indian outfits can be bought on good prices.